Status of amd64_linux26?

Peter Nelson pnelson+kernel at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Oct 7 23:36:01 CEST 2004

Tomas Olsson wrote:

>>Next is a few times I've managed to write files into afs on my desktop
>>that the appear to the desktop as perfectly fine, but when I open them
>>on any other machine the file size is correct but it contains nothing
>>but NULL (^@) characters.  After this happened twice I've temporarily
>>stopped using afs from my desktop and have just resorted to scp'ing
>>files around.  If I have some time I'll try to recreate and debug this
>>error.
>>

>Sorry about that. I haven't heard anything like it for a long time. Is it
>just one file at a time? Please let us know if you figure anything out.

I just did a bit more testing and it's actually worse than I thought.
I'm using Debian unstable AMD64 with kernel-image-2.6.8-4-amd64-k8 and
arla version 0.36.2-9 on my desktop and Debian testing i386 with openafs
1.2.11-3 on my server.  Here's an example entirely on my desktop:

/afs/hackish.org/usr/rufus/test$ uname -a
Linux matsya.sys.hackish.org 2.6.8-4-amd64-k8 #1 Sun Oct 3 10:05:05 UTC 2004 x86_64 GNU/Linux
/afs/hackish.org/usr/rufus/test$ fs version
fs (arla 0.36.2)
Copyright 1999-2003 Kungliga Tekniska Högskolan
Copyright 2002-2003 Stockholms universitet
Send bug-reports to arla-drinkers at stacken.kth.se

/afs/hackish.org/usr/rufus/test$ echo "foobar" > foo
/afs/hackish.org/usr/rufus/test$ ls -l foo
-rw-rw-rw-  1 bin rufus 7 2004-10-07 17:20 foo
/afs/hackish.org/usr/rufus/test$ less foo
foo (END)

I've tried this with both fs setcrypt on and off.  I'm not familiar with
arla very much, so how should I go about debugging this?  Do note that
reading data that is already in afs works fine on my desktop, just not
writing any data.

-Peter