Hangs on read. Was Re: Do any of the arla snapshots work under redhat 9?

Jason Ferrara jeferrara at sarnoff.com
Tue Mar 30 06:07:24 CEST 2004

On Mar 27, 2004, at 3:58 PM, Tomas Olsson wrote:

>> It looks like one of the libraries it links against uses pthreads, and
>> thats somehow conflicting with lwp.
>>
> For me, the default lwp works well using glibc-2.3.2-11.9 and
> kernel-smp-2.4.20-28.9, while --with-pthreads messes things up. Still
> haven't gotten a 2.4.24 up. Did you build the kernel yourself? Library
> versions?

Turned out to be a glibc problem.  I installed the latest glibc update
from
RedHat (should have done that before), and now with

./configure --with-roken=/usr/heimdal --with-krb5=/usr/heimdal
--without-krb4 --enable-smp CFLAGS="-DCONFIG_SMP=1
-DOPENSSL_DES_LIBDES_COMPATIBILITY -DHAVE_OPENSSL"

arla compiles and runs.

I'm having a strange problem though where sometimes reads from afs will
hang indefinitely.
Attaching to the hung process with strace will get things moving again.
I guess thats because
strace interrupts and restarts the system call, and the restarted call
goes through ok.

I also have lots of log messages like

  arla[879]: kernel: all 16 workers busy

Does this matter?

> After Love's commits yesterday, I get pthreads to work as well on some
> rh9
> machines, perhaps it helps you too?

How would I get the latest cvs? I tried the instructions on the web
site, and get...

$ cvs -d anoncvs at anoncvs.stacken.kth.se:/stacken-cvs checkout arla
cvs server: cannot find module `arla' - ignored
cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot expand modules

Thanks.

-Jason