nothing but afs pings?

mmarion@qualcomm.com mmarion at qualcomm.com
Wed Dec 8 00:29:09 CET 2004

On  7 Dec, Tomas Olsson wrote:

> Is there any other kind of traffic before the pinging? If you start arlad
> with full debug logging on, what does it say? Maybe nnpfs logs can be
> helpful, too.

Turns out the afs server was in a weird state where it was running, but not
fully serving data.  For some reason, openafs and transarc solaris clients
were mostly ok, but it did effect some other hosts too that read from that
replicated site.

So it wasn't an arla issue after all, our hosts just happen to have more data
that's replicated on that specific server.

In fact, my question to our afs admins pointed them at the server and helped
them solve the odd afs issues they were seeing on other hosts.

One thing that would've helped, is FileServerPrefs.  I noticed that fs
get/setserverprefs says it's not implemented yet.  Is none of the server
prefs implemented yet?  Our Raleigh site kinda needs that to make sure
their clients talk to their local server, instead of coming across the
pipe to San Diego all the time.

--
Mike Marion-Unix SysAdmin/Staff Engineer-http://www.qualcomm.com
"Curiosity killed the cat, but for awhile I was the suspect."