Arla 0.3.5.11, Mac OS X 10.2.6 Finder

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Sep 16 00:53:10 CEST 2003

At 6:01 PM +0200 9/12/03, Harald Barth wrote:
>This is because the finder tries to interpret the result of
>stat() instead of using access(). You can work around by
>maching your uid and your pts id or by chaning the
>permission bits (with chmod) that do not matter in AFS.
>
>>  Is there a cure?
>
>There is a workaround but the cure is in changing the Finder and as I
>understood from people who actually talked to folks at Apple, the
>Finder devellopers didn't want to change it because "it is not a bug
>if you use our file system and it is faster". I think this is a silly
>argument because it breaks the file system API. It is OK to do so in
>your own backyard, but if you leave your own backyard (AFS, NFS) you
>should stick to the rules.

According to a very old post (on darwin-development I think) Apple
was researching the problem, but it was somewhere mysterious in their
GUI class hierarchy and not anywhere obvious in the Finder sources.
In other words they were more willing to fix the problem than you
might think, but it was harder than you might think.

Has anyone looked at the Panther Developer seed to see if the problem
persists there?  (I haven't.)

>If you are annoyed by the Finder's behaviour and you have support on
>MacOS, I'd suggest you give Apple a bug report, so they have something
>to think about ;-)

This is a good idea in any case.  Just make sure you mark which OSX
version you have the problem on.
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu