Arla and OSX 10.3

Paul Swenson pds at mac.com
Mon Oct 27 17:24:57 CET 2003

On Monday, October 27, 2003, at 07:26AM, Thomas Jordan <jordant at fnal.gov> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Any developments on updating Arla 0.35.11 for Apple's OSX 10.3? Both
>/usr/arla/bin/Afslog.app and the finder interface are broken. AFS works
>on the Unix side-terminal and X11-but with no authentication as
>Afslog.app is. . . erm. . . broken.
>
>	t.

Hi Thomas,

I am successfully using Arla 0.35.12 in Mac OS X 10.3 using MIT Kerberos and the krbafs library. I obtain tokens either using the Kerberos application in /Applications/Utilities or the /usr/bin/kinit command-line utility. I then run /usr/arla/bin/aklog to authenticate to AFS. This combination allows me full access to my AFS directories and groups (including in the 10.3 Finder)

On a side note, I am thinking about writing a graphical utility that would allow a user to perform these two tasks (kinit and aklog) using a graphical user interface with positive or negative feedback whether authentication was successful or not. I looked into using Afslog.app, but could not get it to work with MIT Kerberos.

Hope this helps,

-Paul