Milko - dead or alive?

Tomas Olsson tol at stacken.kth.se
Wed Jan 15 21:07:25 CET 2003

Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com> writes:

> what is the current status of milko? After some CVS browsing I get the
> impression that development on milko is more or less dead at the moment.

Well, there isn't any development going on. Last time I looked it'd crash
after some testing, and clients weren't always properly informed of
changes. But I'd expect it to still be a working AFS server implementation,
at least as a proof-of-concept. Nowhere near production quality though.

> What type of work needs to be done in milko?

I'd probably focus on stability first, make sure it won't segfault/assert
on building emacs a few times. Find out if performance can be improved, see
what features are missing.

Basic knowledge of the AFS user tools and C+gcc+gdb should be enough to get
started, but naturally, most of the code operates on AFS structures, and if
you find inconsistencies you might need to examine the network
protocols. But I guess there's plenty of other things to work on :)

> And speaking of which - is there any documentation somewhere on AFS (the
> protocol)?

Some old info is in
ftp://ftp.stacken.kth.se/pub/arla/prog-afs
aka
/afs/stacken.kth.se/ftp/pub/arla/prog-afs
Most of it is still useful. Any updates out there?

/tol