[OT] Kernel extentions

Dima Brodsky dima at cs.ubc.ca
Wed Feb 19 01:26:56 CET 2003

Hi,

I am trying to build a kernel extention that contains a VFS
layer.  I am using arla as an example and using a nullfs example
that has been put into a kernel extention in project builder.
Now I want to do everything from makefile and so I am following
arla's example but I cannot get the resulting extention to load.

It tells me that the extention contains no module code and refuses
to load.  What are the key characteristics of a kext that enables
it to load.  What does:

        echo _xfs_mod > symb.tmp
>>	: -c symb.tmp tmp.o
	rm -f symb.tmp
	mv -f tmp.o xfs_mod.o

do to the resulting .o file??  Why is that necessary.

thanks
ttyl
Dima

Dima Brodsky                                   dima at cs.ubc.ca
                                               http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~dima
201-2366 Main Mall
Department of Computer Science                 (604) 822-2895 (DSG Lab)
University of British Columbia, Canada         (604) 822-5485 (FAX)

"The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity.
 It is a price which the very rich find the most hard to pay."
						  (Sir Antony Hoare, 1980)