FW: arla finder problem

Magnus Ahltorp ahltorp at nada.kth.se
Sun May 26 17:55:46 CEST 2002

> I guess that the finder tries to be smart by guessing if you are
> allowed to access files based on owner and permission bits instead of
> using the access() system call or just doing open(). My guess is that
> if you change the bits on the directory that do not matter in AFS to
> look like that you are allowed to copy the files (chmod o+w .), the
> finder will probably be more tolerant.
>
> Magnus, didn't you plan to do some changes to fool the finder or is
> the finder stubborn?

I have a patch for this, but I haven't integrated it yet, since there
is no way to turn it on and off.

The patch is in
/afs/stacken.kth.se/home/map/Public/arla-xfs-rewrite-attr.diff

I haven't tested that version of the patch, so I don't know if it works.

> What did the apple folks say on this issue?

They said that it would be very expensive to do the access call all
the time, but one approach is to make it for "unknown" file systems.

/Magnus