FW: arla finder problem

Thomas Jordan jordant at fnal.gov
Fri May 24 21:47:14 CEST 2002

Hello,

Has anyone else run into this problem - and found a solution?

Let me provide some details, but the problem mimics Bauer's original post
and is not solved by Hotz's suggestion (near the bottom of my longish post).

OSX 10.1.4
Arla 0.35.7pre9

My OSX finder is confused about some permissions in AFS space. The OSX
terminal application gets it right each time. In other pictures:

    [owen-meany:quarknet/html/team] jordant% pwd
    /afs/fnal.gov/files/expwww/quarknet/html/team
    [owen-meany:quarknet/html/team] jordant% cp index.shtml index.html
    [owen-meany:quarknet/html/team] jordant% ls
    index.html   index.shtml
    [owen-meany:quarknet/html/team] jordant%

I cannot do this in the finder moments later. I can't even remove the file
that I was just able to create using the OSX terminal.

I say above that the finder is confused about  _some_ permissions. Voila'
    [owen-meany:room3/jordant/private] jordant% cp MyCV MyCV\ copy
Works in the finder _and_ the terminal.

I have done all of these commands in the time frame of writing this mail so
as to remove the ambiguity of expired credentials. The ACL is correct on the
directory giving me trouble. Indeed, this problem exists in many
/afs/fnal.gov directories in which the ACL gives me permissions. The problem
is also true for colleagues in my department. (All of whom have finally
believed my praise of ARLA and made the switch - my boss is most annoyed -
oops!)

The AFS expert here suggested that I try "flushmount". I found flushvolume
in the /usr/arla/bin/fs package and tried something like ./fs/flushvolume
fnal.gov but got no results and even doubt that this will align the finder's
permissions with those on AFS.

Is this a cache issue? I have set the cache size as:
90 < size >200 megabytes
3000 < files >8000 in number

Happy weekend!
    t.