Questions on kerb 4 vice kerb 5

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Nov 16 20:32:44 CET 2001

At 11:31 AM +0100 11/16/01, Magnus Ahltorp wrote:
>Since AFS only handles kerberos 4, you have to get kerberos 4 tickets
>in some way, but you don't need to get your ticket-granting ticket
>with a kerberos 4 protocol. There is always v4 on the wire when
>talking to the AFS server with rxkad.

I was hoping to close port 750 and whatever rx traveled on at a
firewall and only allow k5 and the data traffic through.  Thus
avoiding the k4 vulnerabilities.  *sigh*

Maybe authentication is split this way already.  Can I set it up so:
tgt's only come from the k5 server.  You then talk rx to the AFS
servers to get the token.  Is there no way to get a token (e.g.
replay attack?) without first getting the k5 tgt?  Does this protect
me from the k4 vulnerabilities?

>When the rxgss security class is implemented, you will be able to
>authenticate with kerberos 5 to the AFS servers directly.

And how soon will this be possible?  This year?

Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu