Bad interaction in MacOS X

Magnus Ahltorp ahltorp at nada.kth.se
Sat May 5 21:29:33 CEST 2001

> Running arla ...pre2 seems to conflict with the software update
> process.  The "optimizing" step hangs about 1/3 through unless I
> reboot without arla.

I have noticed this also. From what I have seen, something in this
"optimizing" step traverses /afs. I don't know what it does, but I
waited, and it did complete some minutes later.

I have been trying to speak with Apple about similar things, but few
things have actually been fixed. I will speak with them shortly again
and try to list all the things that we believe are wrong. This
includes Finder's peeking in directories and its inappropriate use of
Unix permission bits.

/Magnus