Large volumes

David J. M. Karlsen david at davidkarlsen.com
Mon Dec 10 15:50:18 CET 2001

Referring to my mail about large volumes. I've mixed the concept partition/volume.
But loking at: http://www.openafs.org/pages/doc/ReleaseNotes-3.6/aurns004.htm#HDRSUMMARY,
tells me:

Support for volumes up to 8 GB in size. In previous versions of AFS, the limit was 2 GB.
Note that smaller volumes are still more practical than large ones in general. The larger a volume, the longer
it takes to move or clone it, which introduces greater potential for an outage to halt the operation before it
completes.

which is quite small for my needs. Does [Open]AFS only sync complete volumes? Say I changed (eg. added) a 2MB file to the volume /afs/myvol - and the myvol was 8GB - would AFS try to sync the entire 8GB - and not only the diff? Does arla support larger volsizes?

Coda suffers from similar problems - as the RVM meta-data file is mmap'ed - which sets a limit on 2-3 GB (anybody know the max mmap on linux 2.4? I guess 2GB?

David K.