arla 0.35.3 on FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE gets confused about which volumeit's in

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at kf8nh.apk.net
Tue Apr 17 02:12:46 CEST 2001

I've spent the past two days being frustrated by what appears to be
confusion on the part of Arla.

I've been attempting to rebuild all of our Perl module collections to weed
out conflicting files.  On FreeBSD this has resulted in strange behavior:

- make consistently cannot determine the current directory;

- eventually MakeMaker starts complaining about being unable to create
MakeMaker.tmp in a directory in the read-only volume (note that earlier
invocations correctly use the read/write volume);

- and, perhaps the oddest, occasionally instead of the read/write volume,
it'll use a path in some other random volume (the one containing my home
directory seems popular, possibly because I've been purging the cache
between build attempts so only the project volume and my home volume are in
the cache).

I killed and restarted arlad with -C but it doesn't seem to complain about
anything.

Suggestions on how to debug this?

--
brandon s. allbery     [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]    allbery at kf8nh.apk.net