kernel module

Faheem Mitha faheem at email.unc.edu
Wed Sep 27 18:39:57 CEST 2000

On 27 Sep 2000, Love wrote:

> Faheem Mitha <faheem at email.unc.edu> writes:
>
> > faheem ~>klog
> > klog: Hmm, your machine doesn't seem to have kernel support for AFS
>
> You haven't loaded the kernel module.

No, I thought of that, naturally. It was definitely loaded the whole time.
I loaded it up when I logged in, and unloaded it when I logged out. I have
been wondering if the problem is with the kernel module. arlad -t seems to
behave perfectly, as far as I can see. Perhaps I need to use different
flags when compiling the kernel module?

The kernel module I am currently using corresponds to the flags

CPPFLAGS="-D__BOOT_KERNEL_SMP=0 -D__BOOT_KERNEL_UP=1" make

Is this customized in any way for Redhat?

> > faheem ~>klog
> > faheem at isis.unc.edu's Password:
> > klog: Unable to get an AFS token: Unknown error code passed
> > (krb_get_err_text)
>
> You want to run ``kauth -d'' to get debug out to find out when happens with
> the kerberos request.

faheem ~>kauth -d
faheem at ISIS.UNC.EDU's Password:
lrealm is ISIS.UNC.EDU
Getting host entry for krb0.unc.edu...Got it.
connecting to 152.2.1.5 udp, port 750
sending 48 bytes to 152.2.1.5, udp port 750
recieved 119 bytes on udp/tcp socket

Let me add here that I didn't actually do ./configure with the flag
--with-krb4=/usr/athena, as I said earlier. My configure line looked like

CFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS" ./configure --prefix=/usr/arla
--sysconfdir=/etc/arla         #(following the spec file).

> > and once it actually worked! This is immediately after running the script
> > in /etc/rc.d/init.d/arla. At that point I had already ran startarla.
> > Coincidence?
> >
> > faheem ~>klog
> > faheem at isis.unc.edu's Password:
> > faheem ~>tokens
> >
> > Tokens held by Arla:
> >
> > User's (AFS ID 29016) tokens for afs at isis.unc.edu [Expires Sep 28 01:33]
> >    --End of list--
> >
> > Then it stopped working again for no apparent reason. I spent some
> > time trying to get it working again, but no luck. tokens exhibits
> > similar behaviour
>
> Did arlad die ?

No, I don't think so. As far as I could see, nothing had changed.

> > Tell me, what needs to be running for klog to work?
>
> - a /etc/krb.conf that contains the cell with the db-hosts

I remember you suggested I add some lines about the database to my
/etc/krb.conf. I was not sure where to add those, so I didn't. Here is my
current /etc/krb.conf. Should I add some lines about the database to it,
if so how exactly?

ISIS.UNC.EDU
ISIS.UNC.EDU krb0.unc.edu admin server
ISIS.UNC.EDU krb1.unc.edu
ISIS.UNC.EDU krb2.unc.edu

> - the kernel module loaded (lsmod | grep xfs)

loaded it

> - a started arlad.

Before I started it I klog gives me

faheem at isis.unc.edu's Password:
klog: Unable to get an AFS token: Unknown error code passed
(krb_get_err_text)

After I start it ( using arlad -z as root) I get

faheem ~>klog
klog: Hmm, your machine doesn't seem to have kernel support for AFS

Is this weird or what? Note the module is still loaded.lsmod gives me

Module                  Size  Used by
xfs                    38504   1
[snipped]

When I kill arlad -z I again get

faheem ~>klog
faheem at isis.unc.edu's Password:
klog: Unable to get an AFS token: Unknown error code passed
(krb_get_err_text)

Did the arla log tell you anything useful?

                             Best regards, Faheem Mitha.