kernel module

Faheem Mitha faheem at email.unc.edu
Wed Sep 27 06:30:53 CEST 2000

On 26 Sep 2000, Love wrote:

> Faheem Mitha <faheem at email.unc.edu> writes:
>
> > > Or do you get the "Interrupted systemcall" without pressing any keys ?
> >
> > Well, I did. The funny thing is that now I don't get anything. The above
> > described behaviour was only when I first tried it. Now, if I cd to /afs
> > and type ls or anything else it treats it just like it was any other
> > directory mounted on my system. As far as I know I didn't change anything.
>
> What happens if you try to lookup anything under there ? Like doing a
> ``ls isis.unc.edu'' ?

root /afs>ls isis.unc.edu
ls: isis.unc.edu: Not a directory

I should say that arla has been behaving very erratically. The behaviour
of some of the commands, specifically klog and tokens, has been very
erratic. For instance klog at different times has given me the message

faheem ~>klog
klog: Hmm, your machine doesn't seem to have kernel support for AFS

faheem ~>klog
faheem at isis.unc.edu's Password:
klog: Unable to get an AFS token: Unknown error code passed
(krb_get_err_text)

and once it actually worked! This is immediately after running the script
in /etc/rc.d/init.d/arla. At that point I had already ran startarla.
Coincidence?

faheem ~>klog
faheem at isis.unc.edu's Password:
faheem ~>tokens

Tokens held by Arla:

User's (AFS ID 29016) tokens for afs at isis.unc.edu [Expires Sep 28 01:33]
   --End of list--

Then it stopped working again for no apparent reason. I spent some
time trying to get it working again, but no luck. tokens exhibits
similar behaviour

Tell me, what needs to be running for klog to work?

At one point yesterday, I could cd to /afs and ls was working, and gave me
a list of isis, isis.unc.edu, etc. but when I tried to do cd I would get
"interrupted system call". This is now not working again. I get the
feeling of being in the grip of dark forces <grin>.

                                  Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.