arla Debian package

Adrian Bridgett adrian.bridgett at iname.com
Thu Oct 26 19:54:01 CEST 2000

On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 21:53:23 +0200 (+0000), Falk Hueffner wrote:
> Adrian Bridgett <adrian.bridgett at iname.com> writes:

> > > You sure can. Adrian Bridgett started helping me out with the packaging of
> > > arla, and got as far as the compilation stage of the xfs module when I
> > > guess time got short and problems arose.
> >
> > I intended to get that bit done during the holiday I'm currently on, but
> > unfortunately I started to play Deus Ex and ....
> >
> > The problem I've got is that although I can produce an arla-modules-source
> > package and an arla packages (which contains the binaries).  I can't get the
> > source package working properly.  I need to put more of the configuration
> > stuff into the modules-source package until it will build properly.
> >
> > I've got the diff upto that point if anyone wants it.
>
> Me, me! And IIRC Erik Bågfors <bagfors at pdc.kth.se> would be
> interested, too...

Okay - I did a bit more work last night thinking "this can't be all that
hard" and after following a logical path for a few hours I've got good news
and bad news :)

good news:
  a) I now have an arla-modules-source package.
  b) it's going to be a bit of a pain to get it working with any kernel

The package shoves a tarball in /usr/src which unpacks into modules/arla:

modules/arla/xfs/.....
modules/arla/debian/buildpkg
modules/arla/debian/control.sed
modules/arla/debian/postinst
modules/arla/debian/postrm
modules/arla/debian/rules
modules/arla/debian/copyright
modules/arla/debian/changelog.sed
modules/arla/config.status
modules/arla/include/config.h.in
modules/arla/include/Makefile.in
modules/arla/include/bits.c
modules/arla/include/kafs.h
modules/arla/include/stds.h
modules/arla/include/Makefile
modules/arla/include/config.h
modules/arla/include/arla-version.h
modules/arla/include/arla-version.h.in

then "make-kpkg modules_install" will sort of work.

The problem is all the darn "#ifndef KERNEL_HAS_FOOBAR" bits.   There are
two solutions to this I think:

a) fix those bits to things so that they are for actual kernel versions
b) include a cut down configure script that only looks for the kernel bits

both those things are distinctly non-trivial.

I'll be doing a bit of polishing tonight but then I'll dump what I've got up
on the web for people to grab.

I see that 0.34.x is a "dead end" release and that 0.35.x is going to be
released sometime so I guess it's probably a good idea to hold off until
then.  Maybe some of these issues will go away then.  I'll try and grab a
snapshot someday and have a play :)

Adrian

Email: adrian.bridgett at iname.com
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing. GPG/PGP keys available on public key servers
Debian GNU/Linux  -*-  By professionals for professionals  -*-  www.debian.org