arla Debian package

Erik Bågfors bagfors at pdc.kth.se
Wed Oct 25 16:51:44 CEST 2000

On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 04:36:13PM +0200, Harald Barth wrote:
> > apt-get takes care of that!!! So that's no problem.
>
> Ok, if apt-get finds the correct package, the only problem left is to
> produce all variations. History tells that compiling packages in the
> same pace as new arlas arrive can be challenging.

Maybe not.  Maybe we will have a lag.  So what?
:)

> > And ofcouse the plan is to distribute the source of the kernel-part in a
> > source-package that is easily built on debian system.
>
> I was thinking about putting the efforts into that only. No package
> with xfs.o.

I think that's wrong.

> > apt-get install arla-module-source   # This will also install arla-utils
> >                                      # which includes everything but the
> > 				     # kernel-module
> > cd /usr/src/modules/arla
> > KSRC=/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.0-test10 debian/rules binary
> > dpkg -i ../arla-module*deb
>
> I was just thinking about a postinst doing
>
> SRCDIR=/usr/src/modules/arla
> OBJDIR=/where/debian/compiles/stuff
>
> mkdir -p $OBJDIR && cd $OBJDIR && $SRCDIR/configure --debian-specific-flags && make install
>
> Or does the debian religion say that you have to build a package with
> an object module in it first? As long as the database of what is
> installed is updated correctly, this should work. Emacs is compiling
> its elc files, isn't it?

It should work.
But you have a few problems.
1) You need to know where the user has his/her kernel-source if the user
   has built his/her own kernel.
2) You still need to build packages with xfs.o for the default kernels that
   comes with debian.  How do you do that in this kind of system?
3) Many people has a build mashine with compilers and stuff and other
   machines without it.  I always compile my kernel on my home-computer for
   example (alot faster than my laptop).  How do I compile my xfs.o if you do
   it in a postinst?

If all the other kernel-modules has a great system why not use it here too.

/Erik
--
Erik Bågfors               | Center for Parallel Computers
http://erik.bagfors.nu/    | http://www.pdc.kth.se/
erik at bagfors.nu            | bagfors at pdc.kth.se
Supporter of free software | GSM +46 70 398 54 43
fingerprint: 6666 A85B 95D3 D26B 296B 6C60 4F32 2C0B 693D 6E32