arla Debian package

Erik Bågfors bagfors at pdc.kth.se
Wed Oct 25 15:39:52 CEST 2000

On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 02:55:50PM +0200, Harald Barth wrote:

> Because of the nature of xfs.o (one for each kernel) it might be
> easier to depend it on C devel or something and build it instead of
> distributing it. If you have a kth-krb4 installed (which does not
> build out of the box all times because of small problems at the
> linking stage with libdbm), building your arla is easier than finding
> the correct xfs.o, because you have to have quite a few lying around:
>
> number of arch according to web: (i386, sparc, alfa ...): 6
>
> number of kernels - I found at least the following
> as kernel packages: 2.2.10 2.2.12 2.2.15 2.2.17 2.0.36: 5
>
> SMP or not: 2
>
> So we are talking about 60 packages here. Before I get shot, I want
> just tell you that I exaggerate just to make a point. In addition,
> releases have been quite frequent lately.

apt-get takes care of that!!! So that's no problem.

And ofcouse the plan is to distribute the source of the kernel-part in a
source-package that is easily built on debian system.

apt-get install arla-module-source   # This will also install arla-utils
                                     # which includes everything but the
				     # kernel-module
cd /usr/src/modules/arla
KSRC=/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.0-test10 debian/rules binary
dpkg -i ../arla-module*deb

or something like that is all that should be needed (should be able to use
make-kpkg also)

> > PS. I am looking forward to a Debian arla package. I am using arla
> > 0.24 since I build my own arla binaries.
>
> Did you say dot_twenty_four? 0.24 is of early 1999. Please tell me
> that that is a typo :-)

*Shrug*

Maybe we should contact all the people interested in building a
debian-package and find out how to do it (not spamming this list about it
is probably a good idea :) )

Mikeee, Do you have email-adresses to everyone?

/Erik

--
Erik Bågfors               | Center for Parallel Computers
http://erik.bagfors.nu/    | http://www.pdc.kth.se/
erik at bagfors.nu            | bagfors at pdc.kth.se
Supporter of free software | GSM +46 70 398 54 43
fingerprint: 6666 A85B 95D3 D26B 296B 6C60 4F32 2C0B 693D 6E32