mmap on solaris

Leif Johansson leifj at it.su.se
Wed Oct 18 08:49:06 CEST 2000

> Leif Johansson <leifj at it.su.se> writes:
>
> > solaris/xfs_dev.c sais "nodev" in what appears to be the mmap
> > slot. This means that mmap does not work on solaris right? If
> > so, when will mmap be supported in solaris?
>
> I think you look that the `xfs_cb_ops' struct, and that is the support for
> the /dev/xfsN device. And no, we don't support mmap()ing the device.
>
> I think you should look at the `xfs_vnodeops' struct where we have a
> xfs_map filled in the mmap slot. Several of our regression tests uses mmap
> (since that is common thing to break). I haven't noted that they failed on
> Solaris 7 or Solaris 8 so I believe mmap works.
>
> Love

Ahh, This just shows you should never rely only on grep. Sorry about that.

The reason I brought this up is of course that I _did_ have problems with
mmap. I just compiled perl-5.6.0 which used ldopen which (it seems) uses
mmap. On solaris 8 perl itself runs (eg perl -e 'print "foo\n";' works)
but if you try to "use" anything that does ld_load_file (ie anything that
uses DynaLoader) it bombs with "Invalid argument".

I then tried the same thing with perl-5.6.0 on solaris 7 with the transarc
AFS client and then all works fine. This is using AFS 3.6 servers. The
problem remains with 0.34.4.

Any thoughts?

	Cheers Leif