Any known problem with arla under high memory load?

Love lha at stacken.kth.se
Fri Oct 13 01:43:32 CEST 2000

Nils Smeds <smeds at pdc.kth.se> writes:

> The first try of recreating the problem failed due to too short life-time
> of AFS tokens. The only thing noted this far is that there are a number of
> XFS Panics during the run that I don't know if they are important or not:
>
> Oct 11 14:49:08 p08 kernel: XFS Panic: xfs_message_installattr: got token w/o data!
> Oct 11 14:49:46 p08 last message repeated 4 times
> Oct 11 17:15:06 p08 last message repeated 4 times
> Oct 11 17:15:07 p08 last message repeated 2 times

These errors are not fatal since the code that print them out also fixes
them, we are looking for what code are causing them. The hard part is
getting to know what part of that environment caused the error, or even
better, getting a repoducable case.

I manage to cause the error (token w/o data) on one of our test-computers
two nights ago. The rpc-mesage between arlad and xfs go out of order, and
that caused the error. It seemed to trigger in when there where many
concurrent accesses afs and low on memory.

There is a patch (aginst 0.34.3) below that seems to fix that problem on:

  http://www.e.kth.se/~lha/patches/arla/xfs-linux-channel-sem

When I used it with this patch I got a 'got data w/o token', but it would
be good to know if this patch fixed your errormessage.

Still interested on what caused the first error (zero-filling of files).