File disappears mysteriously

Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor] sperber at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Nov 21 11:05:09 CET 2000

Love> sperber at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de (Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor]) writes:

>> Every now and then, arla loses track of my .Xauthority.  The file name
>> is still in the directory listing, but stat fails.  Symptom:
>>
>> sams[31] ls -l ~
>> .Xauthority: no such file or directory
>>
>> fs flush and fs flushvol don't help.
>>
>> This is 0.34.6 on FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE.  However, I've been seeing this
>> at least since 0.34.  Since .Xauthority is pretty crucial to my
>> operation, I normally need to kill arlad right away.  With earlier
>> versions of arla, I tried to hang on for longer and it would start
>> losing track of more and more files.
>>
>> Anyone have a clue?

Love> If you check from another computer is the file lost or not ?

Love> Can you check the fid of the file (fs getfid file) on the computer where
Love> the file exist.

Love>    # fs getfid /afs/e.kth.se/home/staff/lha/.Xauthority
Love>    Fid: 536917885.9626.215976 in e.kth.se (212)

Love> In the case where it doesn't exist its a little bit harder
Love> to find the fid: do a strings on alla */*@ files in the cache directory

Love>    # for a in */*@ ; do strings $a | grep Xauth && echo $a ; done
Love>    .Xauthority
Love>    08/9F@
Love>    .Xauthority
Love>    08/A0@

Love> Now you run the afsdir_check from the arlad build directory (it isn't
Love> installed)

Love>    # /scratch/arla-0.34.6pre1/arlad/afsdir_check -v -- 08/9F | grep Xauth
Love>    .Xauthority - 9626.215976

Love> Note that the two last numbers in the fid should match the number
Love> (9626.215976) from afsdir_check.

They don't.  (Unfortunately, I crashed my X just before cutting and
pasting the exact data, but that much I saw.)

--
Cheers =8-} Mike