anticipating autoconf changes

Dave Morrison dave at bnl.gov
Mon Nov 13 14:44:45 CET 2000

Hi arla-drinkers,

I tried this back in September and a few of my suggestions made it in to
the arla sources, so maybe it's a good time to give it a try again.

Here's the bottom line: you can't build arla if you use the version of
autoconf that's in CVS and being prepped for release.

A few major changes are the reason why: AC_DEFINE and AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED
will only accept literal arguements, so you can't use convenience macros
like have-types.m4; autoheader now works differently, breaking some of
the old tricks for getting symbols into config.h.in.

However, it's possible to get things to work with both the old and the
new releases of autoconf with just a small set of changes to the arla
build infrastructure.  I've attached a patch that does this - in a
simple, brute force way.  It's not fancy, but it seems to work.

Cheers,
Dave

--
David Morrison  Brookhaven National Laboratory  phone: 631-344-5840
                Physics Department, Bldg 510 C    fax: 631-344-3253
		          Upton, NY 11973-5000  email: dave at bnl.gov