installing arla on FreeBSD

Love lha at stacken.kth.se
Wed Nov 1 10:15:32 CET 2000

Mitch Collinsworth <mitch at ccmr.cornell.edu> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm trying to install arla for the time on a FreeBSD 4.1 system and
> am not (yet) succeeding.  We have an existing Transarc AFS cell.
> I haven't found documentation explaining exactly how this is supposed
> to be installed so have been trying to figure it out.

There should be some basic instructions in the INSTALL file.

> What I've done so far is to install kth-krb4 followed by arla, and
> put our cell name in ThisCell.
>
> What I'm getting when I run arlad -t is:
>
>    Tue Oct 31 22:21:08 2000: arlad: getting ticket for msc.cornell.edu:
>    No ticket file (tf_util)
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

You didn't get a prompt after that text ? If you didn't I would guess that
there is some problem talking to the vldb server.

Try start arla this way:  ``arlad -t --debug=all'', then you'll get a lot
of debugging output and hopefully you'll figure out what is wrong.

To start arla, we usully use /usr/arla/bin/startarla, it should work for
most platforms (we got it for solaris too in HEAD).