Experimenting with milko: Can't "vos createentry"

Karl Kleinpaste karl at charcoal.com
Mon May 22 05:55:32 CEST 2000

I've had cause to look into using milko, so I built the server
programs and installed them, have created a local Kerberos realm using
KTH's krb4-1.0.1 -- everything there seems to be working fine -- and
am now trying to instantiate an AFS cell, using the info in milko/README.

I've gotten as far as
- setting up a new filesystem /vicepa on a spare partition.
- creating an appropriate srvtab.
- starting vldbserver (first time with -create), which mutters one
line as it begins what must be normal operation.

Then I have been attempting to get the "vos" initialization to work:

# vos createentry -id root.afs -host localhost -fsserver localhost -part /vicepa -rw 3
Can't get a ticket for realm CHARCOAL.COM: Principal unknown (kerberos)
vos_createentry: error VL - No permission access. (363546)

After staring at e.g. /var/log/kerberos awhile, I realized that it
seems to want a principal named just "afs".  This is not mentioned in
milko/README anywhere.  So I created that, too, and tried again:

# vos createentry -id root.afs -host localhost -fsserver localhost -part /vicepa -rw 3
vos_createentry: error rxkad - Unknown key. (19270408)

A key exchange error?  I'm sorry to say that I'm fairly lost right
now, as to exactly what is intended and what's going wrong; it doesn't
help that I'm generally very new to AFS administration matters.  Can
anyone offer a clue or two?

--karl