loads of XFS panics

Love lha at stacken.kth.se
Wed May 10 01:22:16 CEST 2000

Tino Schwarze <tino.schwarze at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de> writes:

> On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 09:52:05PM +0200, Assar Westerlund wrote:
> > > I just compiled and installed ARLA 0.33 - it gave me a horrible lot of
> > > XFS Panic messages all over the place.
> > > I made a copy of /var/log/messages after running "fs xfsdebug
> > > almost-all" and placed it under
> > > http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~tisc/arla-xfs-messages
> >
> > Thanks.  These messages take themselves more seriously than they
> > should.  They should of course not happen, an we should print them but
> s/should/should not/?

no, I think he mean should.

> > they do not really that mean something is wrong for you, but rather
> > that code doesn't do what other parts of it assume it will.
>
> hmmm. The bad thing is that this is
> a) very confusing
> b) renders the system almost unusable with such a flood of messages
> everywhere.
>
> Would an option "-debug=errors,warnings" passed to arlad fix these issues?
> My problem is that I'm maintaining an ARLA RPM and I cannot live with
> thousands of non-critical "error" messages popping up everywhere.

Eah, I know. Here is the deal: the error it warns about is VERY serious, it
will crash in readpage/writepage if the correction-code didn't fix the
error. So the error message should really say: "Ahhhhh the world is
crashing down on our heads, but don't worry. I've fixed it.".

The message is there so we should remember to fix it. If you can give a
simple way os reproducing the error, we'll happly fix the real error
instead of the symtoms.

> > So don't worry about and tell us to fix it. :-)
> BTW: I could not find a list of supported debug options, a more
> comprehenshive help screen would be helpful (I could also have a look
> and add it myself)

: datan ; fs arladeb help help
usage: arladebug [all, almost-all, errors, warnings, disconn, fbuf, messages, kernel, cleaner, callbacks, cache-manager, volume-cache, file-cache, initialization, connection, miscellaneous, venuslog, default, none
]
: datan ; fs xfsdeb help help
usage: xfsdebug [all, almost-all, cache, lock, readdir, mem, sys, vfsops, vnops, node, dnlc, msg, dev, none
]

I have fixed the sillyness related to getting help in current arla.

But these doesn't control the errormessage that you are after since it does
a printk without looking at the debugging variable.