XFS_SHARED_LIBS

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at kf8nh.apk.net
Wed Mar 8 00:15:28 CET 2000

In message <38C57A23.DC500821 at bnl.gov>, Dave Morrison writes:
+-----
| It doesn't seem to be needed.  It was an early glibc issue, right?  At
| any rate, `pwd' in an AFS directory seems to work fine on my RH6.1 box,
| and I remember clearly how it used to fail on a vanilla RH5.2 system
| (though it worked OK if one installed libgetcwd.so).
+--->8

It was a glibc2.0 + kernel 2.2 issue.  glibc2.1 already uses the kernel
getcwd syscall, so the shlib isn't needed.  It also wasn't needed with 2.0
kernels, because those didn't have the dentry issue that made kernel getcwd
necessary.

(And the problem with getcwd.so was that it relied on a glibc2.x-specific
trick, so programs using libc5 blew up badly and there was no clean way to
fix them.)

brandon s. allbery	   os/2,linux,solaris,perl	allbery at kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	   kthkrb,heimdal,gnome,rt	  allbery at ece.cmu.edu
carnegie mellon / electrical and computer engineering			kf8nh