stripping xfs.o module stops it working on Linux

Martin Dickopp firefly-mail at gmx.net
Tue Jun 27 19:14:46 CEST 2000

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> even when I use things like strip --unneeded.
>
> The module will still load just fine, however arlad complains that
> the kernel doesn't support xfs.

Hi,

Removing the symbols from a kernel module (or any .o or .a file, for
that matter) makes it unusable.  Try it on any kernel module and
you'll see the same behaviour.  However, it is safe to remove the
debugging symbols (`strip --strip-debug').

Martin

PS: Please CC me with replys as I'm not subscribed to arla-drinkers.