stripping xfs.o module stops it working on Linux

Assar Westerlund assar at stacken.kth.se
Fri Jun 16 17:23:20 CEST 2000

Adrian Bridgett <adrian.bridgett at iname.com> writes:
> even when I use things like strip --unneeded.
>
> The module will still load just fine, however arlad complains that the
> kernel doesn't support xfs.
>
> That much is true - /proc/filesystems doens't list xfs if you insert a
> stripped module.  Inserting an unstripped module works fine for both arlad
> and /proc/filesystems.

Yes, I get the same thing to happen when I try it on a Linux 2.2.14.
As far as I can tell, all initialization goes fine and the call of
`register_filesystem' does not return an error.  Why it fails to
appear in /proc/filesystems I don't know.

Registering the character device also appears to suceed but when
trying to access it I just get `no such device' back.

Someone more familiar with Linux kernel modules might be able to bring
some light on why that fails to work.

> PS: I'll be releasing some updated Debian packages RSN -

You might want to sync with mikee (CC:-ed).

> I just want to double check how to get the Transarc authentication
> working.

What did you mean by this?

/assar