pthreads

Magnus Ahltorp ahltorp at nada.kth.se
Mon Jul 24 16:59:01 CEST 2000

> 1.  What does configure --with-pthreads accomplish?

It makes lwp use pthreads for the context switching. If you have a
pthreads library installed on your machine, this is probably the
easiest way to make it work, since no assembly code is needed.

> I tried it and it seemed to work but the I got some (different)
> errors in the compiler, but at least it went through the process to
> the end. I have the outputs of both make efforts as text files if
> you're interested.

Yes, if you got some error message, I'm interested in them.

> I am not familiar with what a pthread is, so would you please
> explain what it does and why does make work with the pthread option?

pthreads is an API for managing threads. The pthreads library can
implement the threads in different ways, through kernel threads or
user space stack switching, but you don't have to know which in order
to use the library.

> 2. What is the difference in running make after configuring with
> pthread? Is there any performance/compatibility/feature set
> difference?

The main advantage is that you don't have to port the assembly code.
The main disadvantage is that pthreads is not available for all
platforms.

/Magnus