pthreads

maydin@us.ibm.com maydin at us.ibm.com
Mon Jul 24 16:35:22 CEST 2000

Hi,

Thank you for all the help.  I am just an intern at IBM and I definitely do
not have a lot of unix or S390 experience.  I have two questions:
1.  What does configure --with-pthreads accomplish?  I tried it and it
seemed to work but the I got some (different) errors in the compiler, but
at least it went through the process to the end.  I have the outputs of
both make efforts as text files if you're interested.  I am not familiar
with what a pthread is, so would you please explain what it does and why
does make work with the pthread option?
2.  What is the difference in running make after configuring with pthread?
Is there any performance/compatibility/feature set difference?

I have a book on the S/390 architecture and the assembly language which is
about 1500 pages (!).  It is not confidential material so I am going to
look for it on the web and will definitely forward it.  Thank you for your
interest and assistance.