libgetcwd.so

Love lha at stacken.kth.se
Sat Jan 22 19:10:22 CET 2000

Greg Stark <gsstark at mit.edu> writes:

> A question and a bug report:
>
> When exactly is libgetcwd.so useful?

getcwd should work but doesn't. It should be a simple matter of debugging
with a sane strace.

So as a workaround when you have a libc5 program (acroread and matlab) that
doesn't use the syscall getcwd you preload the libgetcwd to make sure it
uses the syscall (and then it works).

But the real solution is to fix the bug. None has got around to fix it yet.

> libgetcwd.so is compiled without -fPIC so it contains non-pic code, this
> makes it less time and memory efficient to load. admittedly it's small
> and I'm not sure I actually need to use it (hence the question) but if
> it's still useful then you may want to build it with -fPIC.

Sure, can fix that.