arla-0.30

Love lha at stacken.kth.se
Wed Jan 19 03:50:14 CET 2000

Changes in release 0.30:

* basic BulkStatus support
* update to *BSD/current
* more NAT friendly
* rewrote cleaner-part
* bug fixes

There is problem with the new cleaner code, the xfs-implemetion needs
to implement the message XFS_MSG_GCNODES. This requirement rules out
everything but Linux and BSD.

Again:

   ONLY Linux and BSD will work reliably with 0.30

The major thing with the new 0.30 is that RXAFSBulkStatus is
supported. Its enables arlad to stat() a large directory (16K entries)
in 4 seconds instead of ~140 seconds.

There is also problems with this, how big should a BulkStatus be ?
Right now we do BulkStatus of 50 entries. But that should probably be
changed to something that will fit in one paket.

There is a problem with the Solaris code that make it lose to
many/wrong nodes and getpwd goesn't work. There is also smp problems,
these are both known and worked on.

Linux pre 2.2 support will be dropped in 0.31. We will only support
stable and current version of any OS.

The plan is to see how much 0.30 breaks and then start to add support
for more OS. Performance issues will also be worked on.

Love and the rest of the arla drinkers