problems aklog'ing while writing to AFS

Nickolai Zeldovich kolya at mit.edu
Mon Dec 18 05:15:46 CET 2000

It appears that if you run "aklog" to renew your tokens while
un-tar'ing something into AFS (in the same cell), the file that
is being written at the time will result in being zero-size.
This occurs even if the directory in question happens to be
system:anyuser writeable. No error messages are propagated
back to the user either.

I'm using the v4 aklog from kth-krb4-1.0.3, FWIW (although it
looks like aklog just does a VIOCSETTOK, so the bug would seem
to be in arla). The arla version is the CVS mainline as of Dec
4th.

As far as reproducing the bug, any time I try to unpack, say,
the krb5 1.2.1 source tree into AFS, the number of resulting
zero-length files ends up being a close estimate of the number
of times I ran "krb524init -p afs/cell at REALM && aklog".

-- kolya