samba compile prob.

Hans Insulander hin at stacken.kth.se
Wed Aug 30 09:05:08 CEST 2000

Tom Vaughan <tom at vaughan.to> writes:

> > > But, um, I'm a bit new to AFS. And somehow I find myself with a contract to
> > > enable AFS support within Samba via arla. :) I take it this is still a
> > > "work-in-progress"? Did the Samba folks use the Transarc stuff then? You
> > > can, if you like, send me a patch or something of whatever you have and I
> > > can try to get this to work. After all, I am getting paid for this. :)
> >
> > Try using the Kerberos support in Samba instead. Dont enable Afs support,
> > that is. It may sound strange but it works excellently due to kafs library
> > in kth-krb. It actually works better (IMO).
>
> Thanks! I trust that this will work, but could you please explain to this
> poor idiot why this will work? Only so that I can explain it to others. Is
> there an idiot's guide to AFS out there somewhere? Something with block
> diagrams? Perhaps though I'm just trying to take the easy way out, and
> should just read the long version. :) Thanks again!

Well, this works because of the kafs library in kth-krb, which includes
the functions k_hasafs() and k_setpag() (amongst others) which are used
in to support AFS. These functions are used in the kerberized login program
as well as Samba and they are used to sort of take a kerberos ticket and
"insert" them into the kernel so that it knows what credentials to present
to the fileserver.

Libkafs is not dependant on AFS headers and libraries and detects AFS
at runtime, and that's why i think it works better. For example, you can
use the same Samba binaries on a system without AFS as on a system with AFS.

--
--- Hans Insulander <hin at stacken.kth.se>, SM0UTY -----------------------
Gravity never looses. The best you can hope for is a draw.