"fs sys" not reporting the same as real AFS

Johan Danielsson joda at pdc.kth.se
Thu Nov 25 11:42:49 CET 1999

Bernhard Mogens Ege <bme at vision.auc.dk> writes:

> Using arla I get "i386_linux6", but I believe it should have been
> "i386_linux22".

You can change it with `fs sys whatever'.

One of the major reasons for the sysname concept is to allow you to
have different binaries in different directories. For this to work you
have to be able to tell different (binary incompatible) machines
appart. IMO, `linux22' doesn't tell you anything (only that it's based
on some kind of 2.2 version kernel), while `linux6' tells you what
libc you're using, which is much more useful (it still might not be
enough, but that's another story).

/Johan