arla rpms for redhat 6.0?

Greg Stark gsstark at mit.edu
Sat May 1 20:02:59 CEST 1999

Alex Martin <A.J.Martin at qmw.ac.uk> writes:

> Hi Jim,
>              I would be completely in favour of sorting out
> a standard set of RedHat/FHS complaint RPMS.  As I
> understand it there are essentially two opts:
>
> 1) Treat arla and krb4 as optional system components
> and put them under /opt.
>
> 2) Place  the components seperately in the /usr
> hierarchy  i.e.  /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/etc and /usr/lib
> as appropriate. The cache should be under /var.
>
> I suspect RH would do the latter, if they were ever
> to include arla in its distribution.  I think either would
> also allow one to have the transarc product
> installed, which might be useful.  Comments?

Option 2 is what I did for the Debian packages. I didn't really have a choice
since Debian considers any package in its archive to be part of the system,
not a "third party" package suitable for /opt. In fact merely including "/afs"
is picked up as a FHS violation by the QA tool, I think I'll have to ask for
an exception for it though since I can't imagine moving it.

The paths I used were:

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
 --with-arlacachedir=/var/cache/arla --with-arlaconffile=/etc/arla.conf

I think the updated 0.23 packages have even made it to the archive now. I'm
not sure if they work with the libc2.1 packages though because of the getcwd
weirdness. (I don't have glibc2.1 installed here.)

greg