inode clashes (linux 2.2.x, arla 0.2x)

Magnus Ahltorp map at stacken.kth.se
Sat May 1 19:21:38 CEST 1999

> I assume this is due to mapping AFS inodes (or whatever the AFS
> equivalent is called) into UFS inodes failes to produce unique UFS
> inodes.

This is a problem, and it's an even worse problem on Linux, since
in-use inode numbers must be unique. I'm using a naïve approach: the
struct xnode pointer is used as the inode number. This guarantees that
the functions (machine, time, file)->inum and (machine, time,
inum)->file indeed are functions. However, it is not guaranteed that
file->inum is a function, which, as I understand, is a POSIX
requirement.

You are welcome to suggest better ways of doing this.

/Magnus
map at stacken.kth.se