problem with fstat()

Love lha at stacken.kth.se
Wed Mar 31 23:43:53 CEST 1999

A stranger without a name <tyme at dreams.res.cmu.edu> writes:

> There seems to be a problem with whatever arla does when fstat() is called
> with a file on an AFS mount.  I've tried changing the settings in
> arla.conf, and an fstat() call in ls keeps hanging on various files... it
> seems a lower fpriority lets it get farther through the dir's file list
> before it freezes, or at least changes the file fstat() hangs on, and
> sometimes it gets through an entire directory with no problem.

Fpriority is (should) be used for disconnected operations (to know what
files are important to keep in the cache). In connected mode I guess it
should allways be 100.

> The hangs are consistant (hangs on the same file or doesn't hang on any
> files in a directory) based on the settings in arla.conf, and maybe only
> on the fpriority setting.

Do you have an example on where the thing hangs ? I tried to some links in
directory (1000+) and it seamed to work. Where does it hang in arlad ?
Guess you have to point a condition breakpoint on the right spot to find it.

What OS, OS version, and architecture ?

> If a 'ls' hangs on file blah, doing a ls blah or ls -l blah also hangs.  I
> haven't checked the arla code to see where it could be getting stuck.

Sorry, cant trigger it.