arla under FreeBSD 3.1-stable

Love lha at stacken.kth.se
Sat Mar 13 21:05:19 CET 1999

koziol at ncsa.uiuc.edu writes:

> Howdy,
>     I've [finally.. :-)] managed to coax the latest snapshot of arla to build
> correctly on my FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE machine.

Didn't it build cleanly ?

> All was going well until I tried
> to execute the modload command given in the INSTALL file (tweaked to /usr/local/
> arla/ from /usr/arla):
>     modload -e xfs_mod -o /var/tmp/symbols -p /usr/local/arla/bin/xfs_makedev -v /usr/local/arla/bin/xfs_mod.o
>
>     Now modload is complaining thusly:
>         ld: /kernel: malformed input file (not rel or archive)
>         modload: /usr/bin/ld: return code 1
>
>     What sort of option do I need to compile my kernel with to allow this to
> succeed?  I've been trying to get arla to work for a long time now, can someone
> please help me with these final steps?

Modload is for aout kernels only (there is elf patches, but that is for
NetBSD), and since FreeBSD 3.1 I think the kernel is ELF.

The answer is to use kld's. See $prefix/bin/startarla or the Makefile
in xfs/bsd (esp targets load,unload, mount,umount) how to use it.

On FreeBSD 3.0+ we build kld's by default in the snapshots (and 0.22 I
think). the problem with kld's is that you can create the device
automagicly like you can do with lkm's.