forwarding tokens to other machines

Johan Ihren johani at pdc.kth.se
Wed Jun 30 18:45:05 CEST 1999

Hi,

    Herbert> Has anybody a small program which reads AFS token from
    Herbert> stdin, writes AFS token into token cache and works under
    Herbert> arla? I need this program to forward an AFS token which a
    Herbert> user has on my interactive machines to the machine where
    Herbert> his batch job will run.  We are using SuSE Linux 6.0,

At PDC we use the "-h" feature of kauth (from KTH Kerberos) for
exactly this purpose (distributing tokens to a bunch of compute nodes
in a cluster). IIRC, "-h" came into being to solve that particular
problem.

The downside is that you have to submit your password to kauth, but
the upside is that since the scheduler/batch system knows when the job
will run it is possible to ensure that the tokens will last long
enough.

A further upside is that by using a different TGT that is independent
of the TGT/token associated with the interactive session it doesn't
matter that well-behaved users destroy all tickets and tokens upon
logout.

    Herbert> kernel 2.2.3 together with CODINE 4.2 on our Linux batch
    Herbert> cluster and the AFS support of CODINE relies on the
    Herbert> official AFS client from IBM (Transarc) ans doesn´t work
    Herbert> with arla.  However on the other side it turned out that
    Herbert> the AFS kernel module cannot be loaded on my SMP machines

Regards,

Johan Ihrén, <johani at pdc.kth.se>,
phone: +46 (8) 790 6844, Center for Parallel Computers,
Royal Institute of Technology, SE-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden