User level permissions

Johan Ihren johani at pdc.kth.se
Mon Jun 28 19:25:42 CEST 1999

Tim,

    Tim> Yeah, well... NCSA is in somewhat of a sticky situation.  We
    Tim> have our own series of patches to kerberos (Ken Hornstein
    Tim> works closely with us).  We also have a screwy configuration
    Tim> for our afs cell/kerberos cell.  Basically, they are not the
    Tim> same name.  Our kerberos realm is ncsa.edu and our afs cell
    Tim> is ncsa.uiuc.edu.  Needless to say, this causes problems...
    Tim> including the inability to authenticate out of the box with
    Tim> the krb4-0.9.9 stuff.

Our realm is NADA.KTH.SE and our cell is pdc.kth.se. We authenticate
out of the box with krb4-0.9.9 last time I looked ;-)

    Tim> Needless to say, my site mainly runs transarc
    Tim> clients... however, we are looking at other alternatives such
    Tim> as arla for OS's that are not supported by transarc/ibm.
    Tim> Needless to say, a necessity is authentication... so it would
    Tim> be nice if we could get it working.  I imagine I could hack
    Tim> together a "working" klog... but I would also have to do an
    Tim> aklog (for automation reasons).  Grr.. more work. :/

I believe the solution to that particular problem may be to put
NCSA.EDU (your realm) into /usr/afs/etc/krb.conf (undocumented,
non-standard location, as far as I know, but standard content) on your
fileservers.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

Regards,

Johan Ihrén, <johani at pdc.kth.se>,
phone: +46 (8) 790 6844, Center for Parallel Computers,
Royal Institute of Technology, SE-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden