Replicated servers, milko?

Lyle Seaman LSeaman at stormsystems.com
Thu Jun 17 16:51:24 CEST 1999

AFS doesn't quite do the level of read-write failover that you're looking
for.
The server is stateful, and that state would be lost when the first server
fails.  There is presently no mechanism by which the take-over server could
recover the lost state.

It's probably a few man-months of work to design and implement the failover
protocol, and Transarc may already have such a project underway.  You should
contact them.

(basically, what's needed is a set of modifications to the cache manager so
that dirty chunks are not permanently discarded from the cache until after
they've been "committed", which could occur after they've been replicated,
or at least sync'ed to a shared disk.  The other thing that's needed is a
callback and lock recovery protocol, so the new server can learn about which
callbacks and locks have been granted already.  One way to do this quickly
would be to have the first server "log" to a shared filesystem, or via ubik,
the identities of clients which have been granted callbacks and locks, so
that the takeover server could proactively query all of those clients for
state recovery.  I think that's it, though I haven't thought about lately,
so I may be missing something.)