Chown problem with arla

Magnus Ahltorp map at stacken.kth.se
Sun Jan 10 01:31:29 CET 1999

Sorry for not answering this until now, but we've been trying to track
the problem.

> Basically the chown system call is returning 1.  According to the
> man page it can only return 0 or -1.  The mv command is getting
> confused by this.  The mv command is changing the owner/group to the
> value that they already have so I think the call should return 0.

The problem is most probably caused by a file system function
returning a positive errno (negative errno:s are used in the Linux
kernel). I don't see how that can happen, though. I have seen this
problem, but only once on one machine since the last snapshot. Do you
have a test case that will cause this problem?

/Magnus
map at stacken.kth.se