Excessive disk cache activity.

Werner Krebs werner.krebs at yale.edu
Wed Jan 6 03:53:53 CET 1999

I installed arla and tried installing the milko server on a RedHat box.

Some observations:

- When I would ls an AFS cell (I used stacken.kth.se cell because Yale
does not have an AFS cell yet) I would get a lot of disk activity (the
drive did an excessive amount of seeking very rapidly).

This is obviously cache-related, but it is not a good sound (too much
seeking in a small area of the drive). This seeking activity would
continue for almost a minute after each simple ls.

Also, the operations I was doing (just ls'ing the same small directory a
few times) should not have required using the on-disk cache at all after
the first attempt.

The cache is set for about 100 megs high water.

milko:

How do I add things to the root directory? (arlad -t seemed to mount the
milko server (it was registering GetRoot fetches), but "ls /afs"
returned "Not a directory" and I couldn't figure out how one goes about
actually placing things in the volume.