Developers needed: hooks for GNU Queue.

Werner Krebs werner.krebs at yale.edu
Tue Jan 5 04:59:34 CET 1999

GNU Queue is a free project to make it easy to launch jobs in a
homogenuous cluster. Among its useful features is the ability to control
a remotely executing job as if it were executing on the local machine
under the user's local shell.

A networked file system is a natural outgrowth (or need) of this system.
We'd like Queue to automatically mount a user's remote home directory in
a safe and secure fashion on any machine on the Internet; together with
Queue, this would allow the user to spawn a job more or less portably on
any machine on the Internet he/she has shell access to.

Currently, we're looking for (a) free global filesystem(s) to support
with token passing hooks.

Alra supports many platforms and so looks promising. An NFS translator
would allow support of even more platforms.

In any event, we'd appreciate your interest and support for the Queue
project. In particular, we'd like developers with Alra (or AFS or
other global filesystem) experience to help write authentication-passing
hooks for Queue.

There is a lot of synergy to be gained from a Queue/global file system
combination, IMHO.

Queue's home page is
http://bioinfo.mbb.yale.edu/~wkrebs/queue.html (official home page is
http://www.gnu.org/software/queue , but this is less frequently
updated.) There are two mailing lists, and archives of the discussion
list are available off the home page.

If someone could forward this to the alra-announce mailing list (I'm not
sure who the moderator is) that might be helpful as well.