problems with "pwd"

Artur Grabowski art at stacken.kth.se
Wed Feb 17 16:38:16 CET 1999

Herbert Huber <Herbert.Huber at lrz-muenchen.de> writes:

> Hello!
>
> After installation and start of arla 0.21 I encountered problems with
> /bin/pwd on my Linux system (Linux 2.2.1, dual Pentium 450 MHz).
> Calling pwd in my AFS $HOME, the following message is displayed:
> /bin/pwd: cannot get current directory
> Also tcsh complains:
> shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access
> parent directories: No such file or directory
> pwd: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent
> directories
>
> Has anybody solved this problem?

Read the INSTALL document:

  If you are using Linux 2.1 or 2.2, you may want to do enable
  the getcwd syscall, which works much better than the old way
  of doing getcwd. In order to do this, follow these steps:

  1. Copy /usr/arla/lib/libgetcwd.so.X (where X is the arla version)
     to /lib.
  2. Run "/sbin/ldconfig".
  3. Run "LD_PRELOAD=/lib/libgetcwd.so.0 /bin/pwd". If this fails
     with "/bin/pwd: can't load library '/lib/libgetcwd.so.0'" or
     some other error message, report this error.
  4. If the previous step went well, add this line to /etc/ld.so.preload:
     /lib/libgetcwd.so.0

//art