NT client?

Randall S. Winchester rsw at Glue.umd.edu
Tue Feb 2 21:14:31 CET 1999

Has anyone tried cygnus-win32 and/or arla with NT-5.0-Beta2 ??

Randall

On 25 Jan 1999 assar at stacken.kth.se wrote:

: Dr A V Le Blanc <LeBlanc at mcc.ac.uk> writes:
: > Are there any plans to produce an arla client for NT or the other
: > MS systems?  As we face the usual pressure to cut expenses and
: > to get rid of AFS, which is seen as expensive, the availability
: > of a free NT client might make a considerable difference to the
: > planners.
:
: The current code works in test mode (--test) under NT with
: cygnus-win32.  And then there are two planned ways of obtaining more
: functionality under NT.  The first step would be to implement a
: user-space SMB file server that could be loopback mounted (similar to
: what the Transarc NT AFS Client does).  This should have a much
: shorter and easier development that the second step, an installable
: file system (IFS) for NT.  According to what we understand, this is
: quite complex to write.
:
: We don't have any plans at all for 95 and 98 ports, but assuming this
: is not very different from NT, I don't see any reason why this cannot
: be done.
:
: As usual, we cannot promise any delivery dates and appreciate comments
: and assistance from those interested.
:
: /assar
: