Questions about Arla for Mac OS X Server and Mac OS X Client

Alexandra Ellwood lxs at mit.edu
Thu Dec 23 09:27:06 CET 1999

Having worked with Assar on Mac OS X (Server) support in Arla, I'll
try to answer...

The Mac OS X Server port in the Arla source tree is somewhat working.
Last I checked it compiles and you can load the kernel module and run
it.  However, if you try anything remotely complicated, arlad will
die and sometimes you get a kernel panic.  This is probably because
Assar and I only implemented a small subset of the vfs ops used by
Mac OS X Server.   I recommend looking at the nfs code in the Darwin
source tree <http://publicsource.apple.com/projects/darwin/> as a
reference.

Mac OS X Server and Mac OS X should really be considered separate
ports.  Mac OS X Server uses a Mach 2.5 kernel with NeXT loadable
kernel module support.  Mac OS X uses a Mach 3 kernel.  They have
numerous differences including different locations of header files,
different ways of building and loading kernel modules,  different
POSIX support (ie: Mac OS X has pthreads and Mac OS X Server
doesn't), etc.  Also, the number of differences is going to increase
as time passes and Mac OS X becomes more like Mac OS and less like
dressed up NeXTStep.

Unfortunately I haven't had any time to work on porting Arla to Mac
OS X, and I don't see myself having time in the near future.
However, if you have any questions about what I did, I would be happy
to answer them.

ggg
--lxs
Alexandra Ellwood                                               <lxs at mit.edu>