Arla-0.27 and redhat-6.0

Assar Westerlund assar at sics.se
Sun Dec 5 02:00:58 CET 1999

Robert Watson <robert at cyrus.watson.org> writes:
> AFSDB is rapidly making its way to the "OBSOLETED" pile :-).

What makes you say that, except that Transarc doesn't use it?  (They
just wrote the spec.)

> However, there is a replacement SRV record that could be used--I'm
> planning on writing up a draft on using it with Coda, and presumably
> AFS would be a good choice of victims also.

Why use SRV instead of AFSDB?  I don't see how either priority or
weight makes any sense when pointing out database servers.

> There has already been fairly extensive discussion of Kerberos using
> SRV on the namedroppers list--have you been following that?

Only superficially, they seemed to be more interested in discussing if
realms are case-sensitive or 8bit clean, topics which I cannot find of
any interest at all.  And that's just very theoretical, I think we
should just document what's being done (implementations of Kerberos
from Cambridge, Redmond, and Stockholm already have support for SRV
RR.) and clear-up the underscore confusion.

/assar