DCE/DFS

linas@us.ibm.com linas at us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 19 17:57:02 CEST 1999

I find the comments below a little surprising.  From the linux-dce mailing list,
its clear that it took a lot of work to get the 'free tog sources' ported,
compiling, debugged on linux (mostly problems with dce-threads).  As to a DFS
port for linux, I think there is a version 0.01 which I understand is mostly an
outline of work to be done.  The lead on the dce port is gone, and the lead on
the dfs port has been hired away and can't work on dfs due to conflict of
interest.

--linas

 (Embedded
 image moved to Christer Bernérus <bernerus at cs.chalmers.se>
 file:          08/19/99 03:42 AM
 pic23612.pcx)

Please respond to bernerus at cs.chalmers.se

cc:   linux-afs at mit.edu, arla-drinkers at stacken.kth.se
Subject:  Re: Is Arla free for accessing IBM AFS servers?

Ir you run DFS you can have a security server from Compaq, HP or SGI, or you can
even compile
your own from
the free TOG sources!

(OK, You'll have to set up DCE etc, the suggestion is only to point out the
absurdness of that
licensing scheme)

Christer Bernirus
Chips (DCE) Project Manager